Friday, October 3, 2008

War of the Veeps

My blogging intention today is to write a sarcastic rundown of the debate last night. I'm discovering that sarcasm, especially in written form, is one of my spiritual gifts and I'm enjoying honing this gift on my blog. I'm discovering, however, that there is much more fodder for sarcasm in people's reaction to the debate, so I will elaborate on that somewhat amended topic.

First, however, I would like to comment on her physical appearance. It's what I do. I thought the black suit was chic, elegant and oh-so flattering. But, I will say, that I thought she had a tumor growing out of her head with that half-bun monstrosity up-do thing she seems to becoming infamous for.

See?


I'm pretty sure there's something there that could require surgery that she's disguising with all this crazy prom up-do business left over from her pageant days.
As for Joe Biden, I have noticed a strange resemblance between him, and another democratic candidate I'm sure we all know and love.



Notice the longness of the face and the big toothy plastic grin. That's all I'm sayin'.

Next, even more strangely, their resemblance to him


seems even more uncanny. Minus the teeth, of course.

I won't lie. I love Sarah Palin. Please read this post through that lens. I don't even pretend to be unbiased. But what I will say is that I was completely unsurprised by and even a little disappointed with her performance last night. I thought she looked nervous at the beginning, although she gained confidence as the night went on. It irritated me that she didn't answer the moderator's questions directly. It seemed she went into the debate with a definite strategy, if not an agenda. Some were annoyed by her "cuteness", but I wish she would've let even more of her personality out.

What I was truly stunned by was the general public's reaction to the debate. It seemed like the Joe Blows were all very impressed by her. I attribute this to the fact that the only exposure they've had to her in the last couple weeks were from two sound bites from an interview with a journalist who was clearly out to get her, where Palin admittedly did not have her best day. They expected her to be a dunce and were shown otherwise. I already knew she wasn't a dunce; so I was expecting her to, at the very least, hold her own.

I thought Joe Biden looked relaxed and calm, clearly a very experienced debater. He's a senator. That's all they do.

I get that she relates to the regular guy, she's just your next-door-neighbor hockey mom, I'll betcha, God bless 'er, *wink*. I've never seen a regular guy next-door-neighbor hockey mom who was also governor of a huge state, so I don't know how I feel about that assertion, but, I digress. It seems like Joe Blow related more to that and loved her for it than actually listening to the content of the debate. It makes me feel like the average American is kinda dumb and is only looking for appearance and relatability, even though I think Sarah Palin is much more than an attractive package.

The good news for now is that she made up for the gaffes of last week and is back in good standing with the American public. I still love her. I love that she's a non-partisan maverick who fights against corruption and entrenched political systems, even those in her own party. I think that is what is needed in Washington and I would vote for that ticket on that fact alone.

I guess mavericks answer the questions they want to answer, even if it wasn't the question that was asked.

2 comments:

Jerry Mills said...

Well said babe!

waterlily227 said...

I agree with your take on her performance. Where I have to part ways with you is that I don't like Sarah Palin. Your problem with her performance is my overall problem with the republican party, even though i agree with some of their policies. Why is the "average" hockey mom who winks and smiles and doesn't offer any real substantive answer good enough to be a heartbeat away from the presidency? Dems may be called elitist intellectuals, but I'd rather be called that than simply "average" any day.