Friday, October 24, 2008

A Mini-Update

Is that allowed?

I think something that keeps me from blogging more regularly is that I feel like I have to write a well-thought-out, chapter-length, hilarious entry on some Really Important Subject every time. And so, I only post every two weeks.

To shake things up a little, I'm trying an experiment. For the next week, I'm going to take an adventure in trying to post something everyday. Be it just a thought or a picture, even if it's not something substantial.

Here is my first attempt at this.

One of my constant struggles in living more zen is that I tend to want to take little to no time to pick up after myself in day-to-day living. The end result of this is an apartment with the accumulated messiness of two weeks of no day-to-day picking up. Not a pretty sight. I noticed in college that the messiness of my living space tends to mirror the messiness (and sometimes just the busyness) of my life. As soon as things become busy, cleaning is the first thing to fall off my to-do list. This dynamic has been very evident lately.

Judging from the shameful mess my apartment can become under the influence of this philosophy, I've decided that this is not helping myself as I try to clean up my lifestyle. So, here is one little thing I'm going to try in pursuit of further zen-ness. When I get home from work, I will put my clothes away instead of draping them over a chair or leaving them on the bathroom floor. Then, I will take my washable dirty clothes directly to the hamper.

That's it.

Elementary, you say?

Really; yes it is, but this little step has evaded me thus far. I tried this last night, and it really only took me an extra three minutes, but it saved my newly cleaned apartment from becoming that much more messy. And, two weeks of this behavior will help my mental/emotional state as I will not have to flog myself when I can't even make it to the kitchen without tripping on shoes and yesterday's outfit.

This is really a small tweak that has a pretty big potential benefit. I'll try to update on how this has been going since I'm going to need lots of blog fodder in the upcoming week.

No comments: